Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mock Pumpkin Pie....Delish! From Kami's Kitchen

I love trying out new recipes.  If I find one that I don't quite like, I tweek it until I do and change it up quite a bit, till it only slightly resembles what it once was.  I tried something similar to this from Elana's Pantry which had carrot and orange zest.  However, I love pumpkin and opted for my own spin on it.  This is a recipe that resembles that of a Kugel, which is a Jewish side dish that is between a pudding and a bread or cake. It tastes more thick and custardy to me...just like pumpkin pie.  Soft, thick, mildly sweet.  The sugars can be exchanged for brown sugar or white sugar if you like a sweeter version. As always, this is gluten-free, corn-free, soy-free, dairy-free without the whipping cream.

Kami's Mock Pumpkin Pie (adapted from Elana's Pantry recipe Carrot Kugel)
3Cups Libby's Pure Pumpkin (canned or fresh is fine)
1-2 tsp. Ground Cinnammon
Pinch-1/8 tsp. Nutmeg (depending upon your liking of nutmeg)
1/2 Cup Pure Maple Syrup (you can use 1/2-3/4 if you like, or exchange this for a refined sugar or agave.)
1 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
4 eggs

Mix all ingredients together well.  Pour into greased casserole dish (9x16) and bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until when knife inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool and serve with fresh whipping cream.

Whipping Cream
1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup White Sugar (add or subtract the sugar depending upon how sweet you like it)
Blend or whip on high speed until thickened.

This tastes close to pumpkin pie, without all the extra fat.  We eat it for dessert or breakfast.  Lots of fiber, low in carbs and fats.  Enjoy!
If you use these recipes please remember to site me (Kami's Kitchen at the Gluten-Free FarmGirl blog) as the source, thank you!
Love Y'all....The Gluten-Free Farm Girl