Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Who, What, Where and Why of Kefir...

In my search to find intestinal balance, I tried every product I could get my hands on and afford.  Using yogurt and other probiotics in my diet was an everyday thing.  However, there were some drawbacks that I did not like, for instance, the added sugar, other sweeteners, and the fact that these probiotics weren't as active as they are touted as being. 

So, I searched for something new and promising.  Well, while not new in terms of existence, I have found something that appears rather promising.  I have yet to try it, however, I am in the process of preparing my kefir for consumption, starting with re-hydrating it.  

For those of you wondering what is kefir, let me explain.  Kefir is a cultured milk grain that  grows from a symbiotic relationship between the yeast and the probitotics.  It's grows much like a sourdough starter, however it does not contain any wheat, or other flour grains of any kind.  Kefir contains beneficial healthy yeast and probiotics that help to replenish and protect your intestinal tract.  This is the best, most economical and nutritive way to obtain probiotics. 

Studies have shown the benefits of Kefir to be substantial.  See the following links for added information regarding this wonderful milk culture.

 kefir

 natural news

yourkefirsource