Saturday, July 30, 2011

Kefir Part I

I received my Kefir order three days ago.  I pulled out all of my little goodies and began the process of rehydration.
1.  I opened the package and poured the kefir grains into a glass jar.
2.  I poured 1 cup of organic non-fat milk into the jar.
3.  I covered the jar with a coffee filter and rubber-band.
4.  I let it sit in a lukewarm place for 24 hours.

The next day at the same time of day I poured off the liquid into a strainer and kept the grains. 
I placed the grains back into the jar and added 1 Cup of organic milk and covered it.  I placed it in a warm place for another 24 hours.  The liquid that I poured off was just like regular milk, no coagulation or thickening.
On the third day, which is today, I went to pour off the liquid and to my surprise there was lots of coagulation and thickening.  I poured the contents into the strainer over a bowl.  It was so thick, that I had to use my wooden spoon to gently stir and press the gooey substance through the strainer as I stirred.  But, not too much so as not to disturb the Kefir grains.  I then repeated the process.  Added 1 Cup organic milk to the grains and covered for another 24 hours.
I realized that the reason for the thickening was that I had used my oven last night, which was very close to where these grains were sitting.  It smelled fine, so I figure all is good.  I will keep you posted on the rest of the processing.
Sorry for no pics, as my camera is under repair.  I will post pics a.s.a.p.